No. 33 New Orleans, LouisianaJune 5, 1963

Table of Contents

The Big Gulf WatchProgreso, Yucatan Station
The Fate of One Gulf MigrantUtila Island Station
Cozumel Island StationNews About Members
Campeche StationMinutes of the Spring Meeting
Ship Shoals StationTreasurer's Report
Grand Isle Station

The Big Gulf Watch
by Robert J. Newman
Right now most of the field reports from Operation Gulf Watch are lying in a high pile in front of me like neatly stacked but completely disassembled pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Trying to put them together to make a migration picture is going to be hard work but a lot of fun. Things didn't turn out exactly the way we anticipated; and that is another way of saying that new clues to an understanding of the spring movements of birds are mixed among the data.
These data were obtained by many people peering day and night through telescopes in many places, with the LOS well represented. Burt and Rose Monroe did their observing on an air mattress and a pile of pillows on tropical Isla Utila among the Bay Islands of Honduras. John Gee and Gayle Strickland also operated on an island base, one with plush resort trimmings -- ornithologically famous Cozumel, a piece of Mexican land in the setting of the blue Caribbean, with many kinds of birds all its own. George and Jean Lowery set up their scope and lawn chaise on the palm fringed northern shore of Yucatan, where the choice is to do without shade or risk getting bonged with a coconut. Larry O'Meallie was down the coast at the town of Campeche carrying out his assignment with only a tape recorder for assistance and company -- a recorder, incidentally, that proved very poor company indeed by refusing to work.
On around the coasts of Mexico and up through Texas, the work was in the bands of non-LOSers. But in their home state of Louisiana, our members were out in force. The change of locale is underlined by a notation in the report from Lake Charles, where Charles Payne, Hubert Davis, and Robert Bateman teamed up to discover a marked day-to-day contrast in the number of migrants passing overhead. It reads: "10:32-Stopped observing - Coffee Break (Dark Roast)."
Members filtering down into Cameron Parish for the spring meeting arrived after Steve Russell, Sid Gauthreaux, and a band of LSUNO students had completed a one-day check of the sky migration over Peveto Beach. But those who dropped in at Sabine Refuge Headquarters found John and Rita Walthers dutifully maintaining a sky watch there. John's and Rita's work on the main target dates May 4 and 5 was supplemented by observations made on the East Jetty Road by Hugh and Margaret Land, who drove down from Natchitoches for the purpose. Hugh and his class at Northwestern State College later set up an inland watch at Natchitoches and saw many lunar silhouettes there.
I teamed up with Terry and Judy Troughton, who had brought a mobile radar unit from Illinois for use in the project. We set up first at Rockefeller Refuge Headquarters, later moved to Avery Island, and wound up finally at Grand Isle. Ralph and Hetty Andrews, together with Tom Eyster, also operated at a refuge site -- the headquarters of the Audubon Society's Rainey Refuge, a dry spot of ground in the marsh which can be reached only by boat and which is marked by a "woods" consisting of seven small live oaks the only trees for miles around. Ralph wrote that he was "going to register a strong protest to the National Audubon Society for failing to provide more migrants over their headquarters." On his return to USL, Tom organized his students for further watching at Lafayette. They are said to have witnessed plenty of action.
Grand Isle, the remaining coastal station, saw the coming and going of other telescopic observers besides Terry, Judy and me. These included Steve Russell, Ronald Stein, and Tommy Pugh. Ronny sky-watched at Reserve also, and Steve marshaled his class for day and night looking from the top of the Science Building back at LSUNO. On the main LSU campus at Baton Rouge, project activities were in charge of Al Feduccia, who turned in a pile of data obtained with the aid of Ellen Taylor, Al Hayes, Joseph De Marco, and various members of Dr. Lowery's ornithology class.
Among the most important of assignments in the entire operation were those carried out to the tune of helicopters whirring and drilling machinery clanking, on three oil rigs far offshore. Laurie Binford and Bob Moore went to the Humble platform at South Marsh Island; Doug Morse and Gary Pontiff were at another rig belonging to the same company, the installation called South Timbalier; and Sid Gauthreaux and Richard Alberstadt set up their scopes at Ship Shoals as guests of the Gulf Oil Company.
LOS members living in Mississippi helped to provide stations in that state: Bedford and Ethel Floyd, and Amy Tolman at Belle Fontaine Beach; Henry and Augusta Haberyan at Gulfport; and Christing Berry, Bill Turcotte, and Erskine Gandy at Jackson.
One of the only two reports yet received from Florida came from our old friend Lovett Williams, who made a special trip to Horseshoe Beach in support of the project. Lovett saw no migrants overhead in the daytime and very few at night.
George Lowery and I wish to extend to all the persons mentioned above, as well as to our other collaborators, heartiest congratulations on a job well done. Instead of attempting a summary of general findings the pages that follow will let some of the observers tell their experiences in their own words.
Table of Contents

The Fate of One Gulf Migrant
by Laurie Binford
A female Redstart was seen at 7:30 a.m. flying around the Humble Oil Company's offshore rig located approximately 40 miles south of Marsh Island. At 8:00 the following took place. The bird (or another female Redstart) was seen flitting around on the lowest struts a few feet above the water. Suddenly she took off and headed due north out over the water for perhaps 1/8 of a mile some 15 feet above the water. But she got lower and lower to the surface of the water. Slowly she turned and headed back toward the rig, still lowering toward the water. She got about half way back and finally hit the crest of a wave. After a few seconds in the water she managed to struggle up and fly another 50 yards toward the rig, but again unable to maintain altitude she got lower and lower until she hit another large wave. Several times she struggled to rise into the air. Finally she got airborne but managed to flop only a few yards toward the rig. After that she struggled in vain, repeatedly giving short weak bursts of its wings, but never able to regain flight. The current, which is from E to W here (regardless of wind) slowly carried the bird westward. Her attempts at flight became less and less frequent and weak. Finally after 15 minutes, no movement was noted. Floating on the surface, her wings half spread, the bird disappeared behind the waves, her fate sealed. Wind from SE 5 mph; waves small, no white caps.
Table of Contents

Cozumel Island Station
by John Gee
We think the Cozumel Island contingent, consisting of Gayle Strickland and myself, had the choicest assignment of the project. Our telescope was set up right on the edge of the Caribbean where the trade winds and coconut palms supplied the air-conditioning and the soft coral sands contrasted with some of the most beautiful flowers imaginable. We saw no migrants overhead during the day and many of the nights were birdless enough to seem very long despite the beautiful setting. Birding during the day, however, more than made up for the lack of overhead activity.
When we first checked into the hotel a hummingbird-like twitter attracted us, and there in the gardens was a small flock of Bananaquits, one of the characteristic birds of the island. We hunted an hour before we found our first Black Catbird but after that we heard its melodic and entertaining song from almost every clump of bush.
Resident birds were confiding and abundant, particularly the little Bananaquits which were as friendly and curious as our own Chickadees. Others included such endemic species and subspecies as the Cozumel Thrasher, Cozumel Vireo, and a variety of House Wren. White-crowned Pigeons and Caribbean Doves growled and cooed all day long from the forest; and innumerable flocks of noisy, powerful Yellow-lored Parrots scolded us from hidden perches in the treetops. One of the common hummingbirds was the lovely dark little bird called the Fork-tailed Emerald. We saw only two tanagers but they were both beauties. The Stripe-headed, or Spindalis Tanager, is a West Indian species boldly patterned with black, white, yellow and olive. It is not found elsewhere in Mexico. The Rose-throated Tanager, while softer-hued, is also a surprisingly lovely bird.
During the days afield we always saw a sprinkling of North American migrants but only Bobolinks, Barn and Bank Swallows, Redstarts and Yellow Warblers were abundant. We were surprised to find numerous Palm Warblers at this late date, and other seemingly late birds included Worm-eating and Golden-winged Warblers, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and an Upland Plover. The choicest migrant was a Connecticut Warbler, which as far as I know has not been observed previously in Mexico.
One day we took a boat trip to the south tip of the island in hopes of gaining a clearer picture of migrational activity. We had been impressed with the remarkable lack of sea and water birds out over the sea, but on that day we found a tiny islet packed with Sandwich Terns. With them were Roseate Terns and three Bridled Terns, two beautiful species we hardly expected on Cozumel.
The report would not be complete without describing the beauty of the waters of Cozumel. The sea is crystal clear. Next to the shore there is a band of brilliant emerald green, further out there is another distinct band of the most beautiful turquoise, and finally there is the royal blue of the deep water. Much of the shore is rocky and the coral reefs abound in fish that are every color of the rainbow as well as no less colorful lesser animals. The people we met were unanimous in stating the water at Cozumel is the most beautiful in the world. It is certainly the most beautiful I have seen.
Table of Contents

Campeche Station
by Larry O'Meallie
The six day moon watch at Campeche was productive but lonely. On several occasions due to a haze about he moon, birds could be seen outside the rim of the moon, giving them an eerie appearance. The presence of several species of bats was annoying since they occasionally flew past or hovered in the field of the telescope. One soon learns to distinguish them from migrants. Campeche birding was poor, but there are hundreds of motmots in the state and they are common along the road.
I did manage a trip to the Maya ruins at Uxmal and found hundreds of Cave Swallows nesting in the excavations. Also seen here were the Lesser Roadrunner and Social Flycatcher as well as many iguana.
Four days before the watch period I, along with Jean and George Lowery, and John Gee, had a marvelous trip to the tip of the peninsula to search for wild flamingos. Along the way practically every bird was a lifer for me and my final total was 56 life birds. The birds seen of particular interest were American Flamingo, Great White Heron, Laughing Falcon, Bat Falcon, Olive-throated Parakeet, White-fronted Parrot, Pigmy Owl, Vaux Swift, Cinnamon Hummingbird, Citreoline Trogon, Turquoise-browed Motmot, Mangrove Swallow, Mangrove Warbler, American Jacana, and Common Tody-Flycatcher.
The Yucatan Peninsula, with its unusual habitat, exotic birds and Maya ruins, offers the birder an opportunity for a rewarding week or ten days.
Table of Contents

Ship Shoal Station
by Sidney Gauthreaux, Jr.
On May 2, 1963 Richard Alberstadt and I were flown by helicopter from Morgan City to a Gulf Oil Corporation platform. The platform is 71 miles due south of Morgan City and about 40 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico. Once on the platform we immediately set up our station. Migrants were flying over! A quick check for weak migrants that had landed on the rig produced a male Yellowthroat and a female Cape May Warbler. We skywatched almost all of the afternoon and we recorded 78 migrants including one butterfly. All were coming from the south and were heading north. Two Scarlet Tanagers and three Catbirds were found resting on wires under the living quarters that afternoon, and a Barn Swallow flew past the platform heading north a few minutes later. In late afternoon a female Indigo Bunting, a male Yellowthroat and a Catbird landed on the rig. These were followed by a Tennessee Warbler. During a full night of moon watching only two birds were seen.
Shortly after midnight a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak joined the migrants resting near the lights under the living quarters. She was very weak and could be approached within two feet. The wires and beams under living quarters were covered with dried bird droppings even though the platform had been cleaned thoroughly a year before. I suspect that tremendous numbers of birds use this platform as a resting spot during migration despite the complete lack of food.
During the day of the 3d, 52 birds flew through the field of the scope. A male Redstart, a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak and several Barn Swallows landed on the rig shortly after breakfast. That night 26 birds crossed the face of the moon -- all except 4 before 8:00 P.M.
Unfortunately, the two target dates of the study, the 4th and 5th, were our poorest days. On those days a 25-30 MPH wind blew out of the east and southeast, and evidently dislocated the bulk of migrants to the west of our station. On the 4th of May a total of 29 migrants were recorded flying over our station. During the day, a Cattle Egret, an Ovenbird (this bird flew up a vent in the living quarters and was finally captured in a rest room on the second floor!), and two Catbirds landed on the platform. A male Redstart flew into the side of a helicopter sitting on the deck; the bird was motionless for a few minutes then fluffed himself, hopped a few feet and flew from the rig.
The next day only 4 migrants were seen from the scope. Another Cattle Egret and two Barn Swallows landed on the platform in the early morning and after a short rest flew away. On the 6th of May migrants were still very scarce. During the 24 hour period only 5 migrants were seen through the scope and 4 of them were recorded shortly after dark. Two Barn Swallows were our only visitors during the day.
The 7th of May was a fair day with N-W winds. The early hours of moon watching produced nothing; sky watching all day produced only 12 birds although a large flock of Barn Swallows flew past the rig early in the day. There had been a northerly wind all during the day that could have slowed the "flight" so we hoped numbers of birds would pick up after dark. This is exactly what happened. From 7:l5 P.M. until 8:49 P.M. we recorded 24 birds crossing the face of the moon. One bird was identified as a kite as it slowly glided across the white disk of the moon.
The 8th of May was our last full day on the rig. Again no birds were seen flying past the moon before dawn. Richard caught a male Bobolink under the platform at 9:00 A.M. A Cattle Egret then landed on the rig and merrily paraded on the deck. A Barn Swallow also landed on the platform, and as if paralyzed, remained motionless for several minutes. A total of 17 migrants crossed the field during the daylight hours. In the afternoon a Blackpoll Warbler, a Black-throated Green Warbler and a Bobolink, all males, landed on the rig. Only three migrants crossed the moon during our last six hours of moon watching on the rig. As we dismantled our station white warning lights on the other rigs blinked in the black distance, and signal horns groaned at minute intervals.
The oil workers staying on the platform ("Hotel Delta") played an important role in our success. After discovering our mission they brought in birds that had landed and died on adjacent rigs. The workers brought in a total of 13 birds of 6 species that had not been recorded at our station; of these the Western Kingbird was the least expected. All of the birds were extremely emaciated and it seemed probable that starvation was the cause of death.
On the morning of the 9th a helicopter flew us back to Morgan City. While flying between l000-l500 feet, the height at which many migrating birds fly, I asked myself why do birds cross the Gulf? How can they know where they are going? How can they manage to get there?
Table of Contents

Grand Isle Station
by Steve Russell
Grand Isle had two stations operating on the 4th and 5th of May, one at each end of the island. The one at the northeastern end of Grand Isle was manned by Ronny Stein and Tommy Pugh; the other one, on the southwestern end, was manned by Bill Palmisano and me.
Despite regular checking, only one bird was recorded flying in from the Gulf. Brief checks for migrants in the Live Oak groves on the island were made in vain. The most abundant migrant proved to be the Black-whiskered Vireo! (because of the extreme scarcity of other migrants). Three of these vireos were heard calling in a group of trees and after a brief search two of the birds were seen. The two birds were behaving in such a manner as to suggest they were members of a pair! This raises the question of Black-whiskered Vireos nesting in Louisiana. Perhaps the answer will be found this summer if enough birders explore the coastal areas of Louisiana.
Table of Contents

Progreso, Yucatan, Station
by Jean Lowery
Following along with George in his ornithological pursuits for over 27 years has always been one adventure after another. Our recent trip to Yucatan was no exception. George first went to Yucatan to observe the departure of trans-Gulf migrants in 1945 and again in 1948, but I was unable to accompany him either time. On his return from each trip he vowed that I must see "that fabulous land of Mayan ruins, Tourquoise-browed Motmots, and Flamingos before another year rolled around." Yet, fifteen years were to slip by before he made good his promise and took me to the opposite shores of the Gulf of Mexico. Oddly enough I was to see the Greater Flamingo in southern France long before I was to see the "flamants" that live just south of us.
The greatest highlight of our trip was, of course, those sleepless but exciting nights at Progreso when we watched scores upon scores of migrants passing before the moon as they left the land behind and started out on the long flight across the Gulf. I cannot understand why anyone ever doubted that birds crossed the Gulf in spring, for we saw them in such numbers at times passing before the moon that there must have been literally a solid layer of birds in the sky overhead, all of them heading northward out over the beach line as if the coast of Louisiana were no more than a few miles away. George quickly calculated one night that in one hour just before midnight something on the order of 10,000 northbound migrants had passed within one half mile each side of us and that the number of migrants leaving Yucatan in the one hour alone may well have exceeded a 100,000 birds! Anyone who has not watched the silhouettes of warblers, tanagers, thrushes and the host of other passerines passing in front of the moon as they leave the coast of Yucatan behind and begin their long journey across the Gulf has indeed missed one of the greatest of ornithological thrills. But I claim one additional and perhaps unique thrill. Every night at Progreso the Flamingos were heard passing back and forth along the coast, emitting their querulous, gooselike calls. However, one night a flock flew directly over us, not 50 feet above the tops of the coconut trees. They were clearly visible against the moonlit sky. George and I kept hoping each night as we watched the moon that one of these flocks would pass between us and the moon and therefore be seen through the telescope, but I suppose that was asking too much.
Our day to day bird lists at Progreso were not as exciting as those we made at other places we visited on the Peninsula, mainly because at Progreso we were located in the middle of a coconut plantation. There are just not many birds that seem to like coconut groves. Also the remainder of the vegetation around Progreso consists either of mangrove or almost desert like scrub. However, daily we saw Mangrove Warbler in numbers, flocks of both White-winged and Zenaida Doves, the Ruddy and Common Ground Doves, coveys of Black-throated Bobwhites, and other interesting items such as White-lored Gnatcatchers, Pauraques, Green-breasted Mangos, Cinnamon Hummingbirds, Mexican Sheartails, Tropical Kingbirds, Common Tody-Flycatchers (of which there were few previous records in Yucatan), Tropical Mockingbirds, Black-throated and Hooded Orioles, and Yellow-faced Grassquits.
One of our most memorable experiences was the trip that we made with Johnny Gee and Larry 0'Meallie out to the northeast corner of the Peninsula to the Rio Lagartos region where the Flamingos have long been known to breed. We wanted to see Flamingos but we wanted also to find out if there were any concentrations of North American migrants in that area. So we made the trip in the last two days before our concerted sky and moon watch began.
In going there we passed through Chichén Itzá and spent our first night at Tizimín, a quaint Yucatecan town of some size despite its location off any main traveled highway. The next morning we started off shortly after sunrise for the north coast, passing through fine low scrub forest inhabited by White-fronted Parrots, Aztec Parakeets blue and black Yucatan Jays, Lineated Woodpeckers, Ivory-billed Woodhewers, Citreoline Trogons, Masked Tityras, Vermilion-crowned Flycatchers, Rufous-browed Peppershrikes, euphonias, ant-tanagers, and White-bellied Wrens, to mention just a few. We reached the fishing village of San Felipe by late morning and immediately launched out in a crude sail boat to explore the coast for Flamingos. We were out until after dark and, although we failed to find the Flamingos, we did see a single Great White Heron, many Reddish Egrets, and various other exciting birds such as Mangrove Vireos, Mangrove Swallows, and dozens of Frigatebirds.
That night we all "slept" in hammocks for the first time ever -- at least you can say we "reposed" in hammocks during the night. Daybreak was welcomed by all and we were soon out on the village's fishing wharf, for we had been told that Flamingos often pass there in early morning. First there were two, then a flock of 27, and later still more. What a magnificent sight in the early morning sun -- those pink bodies to which the grotesquely long legs and necks are attached!
By late that afternoon we were back in Merida, after a delightful stop at Chichén Itzá to permit Johnny and Larry to see those incomparable ruins of a lost civilization and to see the great concentration of Tourquoise-browed Motmots that nest in holes in the walls of the Sacred Cenote. When George and I were at Chichén Itzá the week before we had seen Keel-billed Toucans and Collared Aracaris, but none was to be found for Johnny and Larry. We could have stayed at this wonderful spot with its delightful Hotel Mayaland and its great quantities of hielo pura and its unbelievably exquisite gardens crowded with Flamboyant or Royal Poinciana trees and massed with Bougainvillaea. However, we had to find Gayle Strickland, whom we were supposed to have met at the Merida airport at 1:30 that afternoon. Instead, we found poor Gayle patiently waiting for us at Progreso when we arrived there long after dark.
The whole three weeks in Yucatan were delightful even though we got little sleep (never more than three hours in succession for over a week) and despite certain problems that we encountered with regard to finding suitable food and safe drinking water. The various little privations associated with day to day living in a tropical habitat have now faded into insignificance as we think back of the great joys we experienced in being in the field with Johnny, Larry, and Gayle, or rampaging through those magnificent Mayan temples, of studying a host of new tropical birds, and of watching some of our own birds as they headed out across the night sky in the direction of our own Louisiana coast. I can hardly wait to get back. After all, Merida is only one hour and twenty minutes from New Orleans by jet, less time than it takes to drive from Baton Rouge to Moisant Airport.
Table of Contents

Utila Island Station
by Burt L. and Rose Monroe
Utila Island is one of the three principal islands of the Bay Island group, situated 22 miles off the north coast of Honduras in the Caribbean Sea. Utila is the smallest of the three, only seven by three miles in size. There is a single village on the island but no industry of any kind. The people subsist by fishing and farming, with a few hiring out for work in nearby La Ceiba on the mainland. In contrast to the mainland of Honduras, where the language spoken is Spanish, the language of Utila is basically English.
Utila is a very interesting spot for birds. The resident avifauna is basically Antillean, derived from the West Indies or Cozumel, despite the fact that Cozumel is almost 300 miles away and Cuba is still farther. White-crowned Pigeons, Smooth-billed Anis, and Yucatan Vireos are examples of the Yucatan-Antillean element. The birds that are derived from the nearby mainland nearly always represent different races. The local populations of the Golden-fronted Woodpecker, Chachalaca, and Black Hawk are endemic to Utila Island.
We spent the week of May 2 through May 9 on Utila conducting the spring migration studies, both diurnal and nocturnal. Daily migration was limited to Chimney Swifts, swallows, and hawks. Nocturnal migration was surprisingly great. Average counts of birds seen silhouetted against the moon ranged from 20 to 120 birds per hour throughout the period, with peak periods early in the evening and sometimes early in the morning. Although the overhead nocturnal migration was large, very few migrants were seen on the island during the day. Most notable of these included a male Mourning Warbler, many Bay-breasted Warblers (rare in Honduras), and the first Honduras record of the Bobolink.
Table of Contents

News About Members
The LOS has sustained a great loss with the moving of Mr. and Mrs. H. A. J. Evans, patrons of the society, from Louisiana to Houston, Texas. The Evans have made substantial contributions to further the advancement of ornithology in the state. Mrs. Evans has served as secretary for LOS for the last four years and before that time served the society in other capacities. Through the efforts of Mr. Evans LSU graduate students have been able to pursue their ornithological studies in Central America. We wish them well in their new home.
Horace H. Jeter writes from California (4/1/63) ".... yesterday I rode out with other Audubonites on a boat to South Farallon Island. Not even one lifer. It was an interesting trip, but I'm not sure I'll go out again should the opportunity arise. Perhaps the most interesting species was the Black-footed Albatross -- we had come up close for leisurely observation. Almost certainly we were indebted for them to a destroyer which passed us headed east for San Francisco; the albatrosses showed up immediately afterwards. Western Gulls and Common Murres were abundant around the island, with good numbers of Pigeon Guillemots and the three cormorants. A few poor glimpses of Tufted Puffins, and a flock of Eared Grebes just about completed the list. No murrelets, no petrels, and only Sooty Shearwater."
Miss Marie Mans, birder from California and editor of the Middle Pacific Coast Region for AFN, attended the spring meeting at Cameron; this being her first trip east she added 17 lifers to her list.
As of June 1, 1963, Louisiana will claim another birder for its state list. On that date the Henry D. Haberyans will move from Gulfport, Mississippi, to Lake Charles. Dr. Haberyan has done much to advance ornithology in Mississippi through his extensive bird banding along the Mississippi Gulf coast.
Just as new birders arrive, others must go. Ron K. Templeton of New Orleans has notified the society he will be transferred to a position outside the States. His special interest is bird photography.
Dr. Stephen M. Russell and his assistant Bill Palmisano will spend this summer in British Honduras. There they will study the ecology and breeding behavior of birds inhabiting upland and lowland pine forests. Their trip should last for three months.
George H. Lowery, Jr. was named "Conservationist of the Year" by the Louisiana Outdoor Writers Association at their annual meeting in Lake Charles last month. It is pleasing to know that Dr. Lowery's efforts to conserve our state's wildlife resources have been so recognized.
Father Matthew Turk writes that he will soon be back South. The birds in Kansas are good he admits, but they do not hold a candle to those in Louisiana.
Welcome New Members
Mr. Ben Coffey
672 N. Belvedere St., Memphis 7, Tenn.

Mr. Paul N. Bourgue
Avery Island, La.
Miss Charlene Aubrey
Box 909, Vivian, La.
Miss Carol Lee Harelson
422 Elizabeth Drive, Baton Rouge, La.
Mrs. Luther D. Payer
10142 Mollylea Drive, Baton Rouge, La.
Miss Caroline Dormon
Sabine, La.
Mr. George E. Rongner
503 French St., New Orleans 24, La.
Dr. Marshall B. Eyster
124 Monteigne Drive, Lafayette, La.
Dr. Henry D. Haberyan
2214 Seventeenth St., Lake Charles, La.
Mr. Ron K. Templeton,
c/o Shell Oil Co.
Box 8321, New Orleans, La.
Table of Contents

Minutes of the Spring Meeting
by Katherine Hearne

The spring meeting for 1963 was held at Cameron at Fred's Restaurant with the President, Mary Lewis, presiding. Approximately 55 members and guests were present. It was decided to dispense with the reading of the minutes of the previous meeting. The Treasurer's report as of April 27, 1963 was read by Buford Myers in the absence of the Treasurer.
The President expressed regret at the resignation of the Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs. H.A.J. Evans, who has changed her residence to Houston, Texas. Attention was called to the research grants authorized at the last meeting and interested individuals were invited to apply.
Sidney Gauthreaux, Jr. acted as the compiler for the day's list of birds; 168 species were seen by the group, including Surf Scoter, Glaucous Gull and Black-whiskered Vireo. It was decided to return to Cameron for the fall meeting.
The President requested Dr. Stephen Russell to explain "Operation Gulf Watch," the current LSU study on migration. Many L.0.S members are participating in the operation. The meeting concluded with the showing by Dr. Russell of the excellent German film, Woodpeckers.
Table of Contents

April 27, 1963

On hand 12-1-63$411.58
Receipts $145.57
Total on hand 4-27-63$438.50
Special Fund$987.13
Total LOS funds$1,425.63
Table of Contents

Home ||  History ||  Officers ||  Join LOS ||  LA Birding Organizations
LA Checklist ||  LBRC ||  LOS News ||  LOS Sales ||  Meetings ||  Pelagic Trips
LA Birdline ||  Local Contacts ||  Online Birding Resources ||  Featured HotSpot

King Rail neck feather (L'Hoste/1998) design
posted 14March1999