LOS LONG FORM – Cassin’s Sparrow
1. English and Scientific Names:
Cassin’s Sparrow Pencaea cassinii
2. Number of individuals, sexes, ages, general plumage:
3. Locality: Louisiana (parish): / Specific Locality:
Bossier Parish, Bossier City, approximately 300 yards north of the parking lot behind Bass Pro Shop on Bass Pro Shop Road just off Texas Street. Bird in gully grown up in rag weed between a land fill on the north and an open grass covered field to the south near the riparian area along the Red River.
4. Date(s) when observed:
May 6, 2011
5. Time(s) of day when observed:
First seen and heard at 9:45 AM CDST. Last seen 10:05 AM when departed area.
6. Reporting observer and address:
Jay V. Huner, 428 Hickory Hill Drive, Boyce, LA 71409
7. Other observers accompanying reporter who also identified bird(s):
Nancy Newfield, John Sevennair, and Carolyn Philips (maybe Phillips).
8. Other observers who independently identified the bird(s):
Terry Davis, Charles Lyon, Paul Conover and others.
9. Light conditions (position of bird in relation to shade and to direction and amount of light):
Clear day, light wind. Light behind observers.
10. Optical equipment (type, power, condition):
Zeiss 10 x 40 binoculars.
11. Distance to bird(s):
Approximately 15 yards.
12. Duration of observation:
9:45 AM CDST – 10:05 AM.
Gully grown up in rag weed between open hay(?) field and land fill.
14. Behavior of bird ….:
Bird was skylarking, perching on tops of rag weed plants, and singing almost incessantly.
15. Description ….:
Non descript sparrow, light brown above with streaking and lighter below. Reddish brown crown. Longish tail with some white highlights on tip of tail feathers.
Beautiful introductory notes followed by trill.
17. Similar species.
18. Photographs or tape recording obtained? (by whom? Attached?):
Photograph submitted to Paul Conover. Jay Huner Photographer.
19. Previous experience with species.
Limited to short duration sightings in Texas and Arizona. Never heard the song before.
20. Are you sure of identification?
Yes based on input from fellow observers.
21. May LOS release this information?
22. Time and Date:
5:00 PM – 11 May 2011